Friday, December 4, 2009

Joining the ranks of the violated

This is an old note from Facebook but wanted to put it on my blog...

Dear Family and Friends,

Greetings from the great country of Ghana. Though the image is now slightly tarnished...Robberies happen all over the world and people are violated at different levels in each instance. Thankfully ours was mostly emotional and nothing physical really happened to us...

On Wednesday night five armed robbers pushed through our gate and our night watchman to demand all the money we had on us and in our house, as well as every electronic thing they could put their hands on. Claire and Maggie had just returned from an evening program at Maggie's school and it was 8:30 p.m. When they pulled into the gate, armed robbers folllowed close behind and made their way into our compound. They took Claire and Maggie's phones and dumped their purses on the driveway looking for money then made their way inside to look for me and all of our money. I was in Luke's room about to have prayers with Luke and his spend the night friend Seth. Claire walked in looking frantic and saying, "I need help." Just behind her was a young man not more than 20-25 with a shot gun and another young man holding a machete (cutlass). They ordered us to sit down and then asked where all the money was. We told them to leave our son's room so it wouldn't frighten them. Claire and I showed the two robbers our room and gave them all the money we could find....thankfully it was no more than a couple hundred U.S. dollars and about $600.00 in Ghanaian cedis...then they started picking through all of our belongings taking cameras, every laptop available, four of them and lots of incedentals...watches, earphones, ipods, i-touch that Maggie got for Christmas...the most devastating loss was my laptop and all my PhD work gone...most of which has been backed up but some of it was backed up on another computer, which they also took. After 20 minutes they were gone. At one point I said to one of them, you know I'm a pastor and I love Jesus and He loves you. He said, "Oh I know, I'm a Christian too, He's my savior." I said, My friend you are not a Christian or you wouldn't be doing this to our family.

Maggie was probably the most traumatized because she was left in the front lot of our home while Claire was taken inside being held at gun point.

I'll write more later, but in the mean time, just pray for our family, our memories, and our healing...

Thanks,

Michael for the Mozleys

1 comment:

steve and randel hambrick said...

MIKE!! oh my word! i'm so sorry for you all. i can only imagine, and will be praying for yall. would love to hear an update of how everyone is emotionally doing..
love you
r