Thursday, February 1, 2007

First things First

Welcome to my blog. Who came up with the word blog and what does it really mean? Let me introduce my family...I'm Michael, Anna is right behind me (17), then Luke,(8), and Maggie is our blond 14 year old and then my beautiful Claire.


I don't really understand all of this but my incredible assitant, Ms. Tatum Downs is trying to thrust me into the post modern world. So I'm launching out into unknown territory for me. This originally struck me as an excercise in narcissism, feeling like the words we write are somehow valued, special and important. I didn't like the original concept, especially the comments thing because if no one comments, does that mean what you said wasn't worthy of response or no one loves me or what. And as I've read through many different blogs, I now realize it is the random thoughts of folks who just want to throw it out there and see what happens.

First the explanation of Sankofa...of course it comes from Ghana where I live and it is an Adinkra symbol which literally means "return and get it." But the deeper meaning is "return to your roots." Or in my words don't forget where you come from. Family is of course high on my list of priorities. So that is that.

My second reason for blogging was that I kept getting these great thoughts and sermon ideas and scribbling them on paper and then they get accumulated in some pile and I eventually just threw them away. Now I'm going to throw them on my blog and maybe they'll have some value for someone, including myself.

That's it...not too painful...still feels weird...that you post words on a screen for your friends to read and respond or not respond to.

11 comments:

Marie-Claire said...

I think getting your thoughts down on screen will be good for you. Lord knows we could all benefit from your wisdom. So bring it on.

AnnieBlogs said...

Akwaaba to the world of blogging. (Did I even spell that right?)

h. said...

preach on preacha!!!
bring it, dont sing it.

james the bruce. said...

if you put up sermons i'll critique them for you and give you some pointers i learned from seminary. dont worry- its free.

welcome to blog land

Unknown said...

Hi Michael - Great so far! Keep up the good work. Blog, stands for "Web log" which when you say it quickly becomes "blog"

I hope you'll be able to checkout my thoughts on Sankofa, which is

http://buchele.blogspot.com/2006/12/sankofa-ghana-days-dash.html

Peace,
Steven

Katie B said...

Mike Mozley - I just love you and your whole family- I'm inspired by the whole blog thing - fixin' to start one for the Fritchie fam. I'll let you know! We want to come visit to Ghana-bring the boys and all. Amy F

Katie B said...

Now that Amy has her own blog, she can stop living vicariously through mine.
Welcome fellow ESTJ.

Margaret said...

nicely said. the mind of michael shall be interesting :) welcome 'you've done well!" :)

Boggsy said...

Et te sen? I know I butchered that one since it's been 6 and 1/2 years since I was in Ghana. But it's great to read about what's going on in your life! I look forward to reading more. Tell Eddie Juxton says hello!!! I just thought of the time he ran out of the room b/c of what I did...so funny!

Ryan(p48) said...

isn't that amazing? you've only been here a few days and you already have 9 comments. doing pretty well, i'd say. it's so funny, because i was totally like you with my thoughts of narcissim when it comes to blogging. back around the beginning of the year, god really changed my heart. so i keep my thoughts on myspace.com
anyway, just wanted to say hi. where do i sign up? :)

Laura Kirkland said...

Yea Mike Mozley! Funny you just started this, because I introduced Joseph Otsin to the blog world yesterday and showed him Tatums and he was amazed. He wants me to start him a blog on Thursday night. ..we will keep you posted !